Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Basketball and Butt

I shot hoops yesterday with the Firecracker. Of course, we can't just shoot, we have to play a game. One in which the rules of the game don't apply to him. He travels, double dribbles and fouls the crap out of me. He can score a three pointer. I can't. The game was close - the lead changing back and forth, when I blazed past him for a rebound. He blurted out, "Chubby butt", regarding the appearance of my back side. There's no edit button on this kid. Stunned, I stammered for a few seconds then said, "That's booming butt." And don't you forget it kid. Then I raced by him for a lay-up. Too bad I don't have the ups to dunk. That was the exclamation mark that I needed.

3 comments:

Amy Rio-Anderson/Running Rio said...

Ooohhhh...death in my house for such a comment! Firecracker is wrong, of course.

I was in a bathroom stall recently and beside me was a mom with a young son (probably age 2). He said rather loudly, "Mom, your butt is really big!" I felt for the poor woman. When we were all washing hands, I glanced at the woman - tiny woman in fact. If even tiny women get comments like that...

Anonymous said...

Why the fear a big backside? It is truly a beautiful inevitability. I feel sorry for those skinny, buttless never-eaters, myself.

Tell your 'firecracker' that 'big' butt is what keeps him safe from boogymen and whatnot.

restless said...

Thanks for the reassurance Rio and anon- though I acutually DO like my bum. It is one benefit I enjoy in my 40's body, that i didn't enjoy in my 20's stick body. I'd prefer it to stay it's current size, though. I'm realizing that requires laying of the Girl Scout cookies, among other treats, and spending more time exercising.